Miniatures For Sale

Sunday, November 18, 2012

WIP: STC Contest Entry Continued

The inspiration .
Welcome back. Lets jump right in shall we? Above is a really close idea of what I wanted my Alpha Legion to look like. Well, maybe a bit more corrupted since they are traitors.  Guess what? I got really close!



This is how the details turned out. Still looking like an iron warrior though.
 A few close ups of the bolter. Why the metallic red on the bullets? I heard the red ones shoot faster somewhere...
With the armour started he's getting closer to that Alpha Legion feel.
All the pre-shading and highlighting was done with Citadel metallics then the new Citadel glazes where brushed on in several (3-4) thin layers.
There it is! Alpha Legion. Metal highlights were done over the blue and then glazed with the new Citadel green glaze.  The armour tuned out EXACTLY like I wanted. This is how the Alpha Legion looks in my mind and I finally got it on a mini!
Decals were used for the Icons. Decal, blue glaze, metal highlight, green glaze.  This paint job is so fast and easy I would totally use it for a whole army - and someday I will o_0
The details on the base were kept muted and neutral to show off the mini better. The color of the Necron bits matches his bolter's ammo and helps to tie him into the base.

He's actually all but finished. I just painted the rim of his base, sprayed him with Vallejo matte and he is now awaiting a bit of static grass on his base. Then its a few pics for the Standard Template Construct contest and he's done.  I'll post the finished pics after the contest because it is online voting and I want to drive people to Standard Template Construct to vote ;) So please, when voting starts for Champions of Chaos Contest check out my entry and vote for it!

Next time, back to the grey and green of prepping my DV miniatures, ugh. Chaos chosen and cultists are up next.  The Resurrected Hobbyist has done some nice cultist conversions that really got my attention and Miasma of Pestilence has some nice looking chaos chosen too. There's a ton of wonderful conversions and painting out there to keep me motivated on my DV minis so check out some of the sites on my blog roll because that's where a lot of my inspiration is found and new sites are being added all the time.

Thanks for checking out my work and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain.

18 comments:

  1. Wow! Looking great so far!

    I hope all the entries are up to this level of painting so we have some seriously inspiring models for everyone to droll over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That's flattering. It's been a while since a mini has come together this smoothly.

      Delete
  2. Nice! I really like how that's turning out - great work, Zab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a nice distraction from all that conversion work on my DV set. I'm really loving how blogging has fueled my hobby creativity lately. BTW, you are never done with infantry. My favorite tactic? Choke their guns with your dead ;)

      Delete
  3. dam that is awesome...would love for a recipe on how you painted the mini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Luckily, I write it all down as I go so when I decide to do the army it'll be the same. Other than primer and matte which are Vallejo the rest was all Citadel.
      Armour was: Basceoat Leadbelcher, highlight Ironbreaker, wash Nuln Oil, highlight Runefang steel, glaze Gulliman blue glaze. Then highlight, Runefang steel, glaze Waywatcher green glaze.
      If there's anything else specifically, let me know. I plan to do a full tutorial once I have him finished.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks. I really like where the pre-heresy sons of horus on your blog is going.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the shout out for Miasma of Pestilence, mate. Much appreciated. This Alpha Legion scheme is insanely good. Really striking! How did you dream up the idea of doing the whole thing over the top of metallics? Top drawer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I really dig your blog and painting style. As for the paint scheme - It came to me in a dream - nah. I saw an article in the November White Dwarf called Paint Splatter. In it there was a bunch Warriors of Chaos for the different gods and the tzeentch one looked close to what was in my head so I needed to try it to redeem myself for the terrible Alpha Legion test mini I did for my DV set.

      Delete
  6. That looks fantastic! Much nicer alpha legion rendition than any I've seen. I hope my version turns out half as good...
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much! I actually really like your tutorial on the reds. It's so simple, but it's very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That metallic blue/green is amazing! Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm really thrilled with how it turned out. It's so rare that I can achieve exactly what I had in my head even after 20+ years at this.

      Delete
  9. Awesome painting! Do you always paint your models in bits? I might have to try that...

    (Nerd moment: red tipped bullets are tracer rounds, they have a small phosphorus charge in the bottom of the jacket. They're usually 1in5 for automatic weapons like your bolter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not always. Usually for minis I am painting to a higher standard than tabletop. It let's me get at details that might otherwise be hard to get to. I just have to be mindful of where shadows fall when its assembled so I don't have any weird highlights. Also remember to scrape the places where the parts make contact down to bare plastic with a hobby knife or file so that it makes a good bond other wise you'll be gluing paint to paint and it will eventually break off. I didn't know that about the bullets: that's really cool.

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.