Miniatures For Sale

Saturday, December 08, 2012

On Display, A Contest & An Auction


Here is "Alpharius" in all his finished glory.  He's my entry for the STC Champions of Chaos contest. So head on over there and vote for him if you like him. Of course, there are a ton of other really nice entries that you may like to vote for once you see them. So lead with your heart - that's what he would do; he'd lead with your still beating heart (having ripped it from you chest), but hey - that's chaos for ya  o_0



Looks like I am currently in 3rd for best painted and have no votes for best converted, but the conversions are so subtle you wouldn't know them if they weren't pointed out. The original mini & conversion together...

So, from the top down the conversions are:
Head replaced with chaos tank drivers head (not an easy swap if you've ever built this guy).
Backpack replaced with RT era Backpack (again, quite a bit of GS work needed)
Left shoulder pauldron cut down and smoothed out to remove daemon face.
Axe swapped for Bolter.
Sword added to hip.

Now he just screams Alpha Legion. Only quietly, so as not to be discovered while infiltrating the enemy ranks ;)

Onto the auction.  There is an auction taking place over at Tales of a Tabletop Skirmisher. It's for a great cause AND you can own a ZAB original! WHAT?! It's true. The two minis below were painted by me and are up for auction.

You can see more pretty pictures of them in this old post. Go and bid (generously) because some day I'll be dead, they'll be worth at least whatever they charge for scrap metal in the future and you'll be sorry you missed your chance to capitalize on my demise. Actually, just go help out with a great cause and bid (generously) on anything you like - except the pink Space Hulk Terminator; that one is mine and I will out bid you for it  -_-

Okay, next post I'll have a few shots of how I detailed the bases of my Dark Vengeance set and maybe some shots of the primed minis. FYI: Vallejo surface primers are incredible and you should pick some up if you get the chance.

See you next post and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain!

17 comments:

  1. Subtle conversions are the best kind. They complete change the look of model yet when notice will implode the eye of the beholder. My entire Renegade Space Wolves and their Traitor Guard fall into this category. From each Wolf having a Khorne SHolder pad, to all 101 models having unique faces. Weapon swaps, and a plethora of kit bashing additions I often have to point out what I have done to my models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never even realized you took those daemon faces off the shoulder (I'm going to try that on my DV chosen). And I agree with HOTpanda, some of my favorite conversions are the subtle ones. If it doesn't look like a conversion, then you know it's a good one. Can't wait to see some more of the Alpha Legion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Alpharius conversion and paint job is excellent. The best conversions are usually the ones that are subtle. I like how you have mixed the green and blue for contrast in the armour. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. I get a giddy little thrill when people look at your conversion and can't quite place it. I just feel the current chaos sculpts don't fit the utilitarian feel of the Alpha Legion. Although if you look at this http://www.bloodybeast.com/2012/10/alpha-legion-champion.html maybe I'm wrong. He really made that one look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both the paintjob and conversions on this Zab. I can't fathom the lack of conversion votes for yours, I can only think that people don't realise that it is converted (although my bog standard version should give it away). Best of luck with the comp.
    Cheers Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob. I think they may have been too subtle ,but those are my favourite kind really.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! The ominous mystery prize... You never know what that could mean when it comes to chaos o_0

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Next to the Dark Angels they are my favourite legion. Deliverance Lost was just such a great book - about both the Raven Guard and Alpha Legion.

      Delete
  8. This is what I want my Alpha Legionnaires to look like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you should check out the new badger minitaire ghost tints. They would speed this process up if you have an Airbrush! Check out this link

      http://handofjunk.blogspot.ca/2013/09/airbrush-project-chaos-space-marine.html

      Delete
  9. Love the Green/blue metalic paint scheme, looks outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The blue And The green are tamia color yes?
    The Name of the green?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are actually gulliman blue and waywatcher green from citadel in thin glazes over metallic paints. Here is a tutorial i did...

      http://almostperftec.blogspot.ca/2012/11/run-down-wip-alpha-legion-and-dv.html

      cheers!

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.