Miniatures For Sale

Friday, February 08, 2013

WIP: Dark Vengeance Company Master & Oh Flock, I Stained It!


So after blazing through the Chaplain and Librarian I stormed onto this guy. Let's see how that is going shall we?


Good, but slow actually.
That's as far as I got. Too be fair I got a little side tracked...

A while ago I saw this mini over at Bloody Beast and really loved it. So I went ahead and bought it. What can I say? I love that mini.  Here it is side by side with mine. His has a hand swap too :)
Notice that nice wooden block he's sitting on? I made that.  I made a bunch of them and will be making more in the future because it's dirt simple, cheap and fun.
*NOTE: The ladies in your lives might like this project if they want to try out various stains and techniques like antique distressing before committing to anything and they will feel involved in your hobby time, plus you'll get some nice display cubes for your minis too, so that's a nice bonus ;)
They are simple pine blocks from Micheal's. They come in 1"x1" (good for smaller minis like Freebooter, Hasslefree, and Heldorado), 1.5"x1.5"(good for 25-30mm bases) and 2"x2" (good for 40mm bases).  They are about $1.69CAD a piece so needles to say I got a selection. The first is black and brown stain with a few layers of clear coat and little distressing to make it look antiqued, the second is a simple walnut stain with some spar varnish (which has a nice amber tint to it so don't use it on light stains) and the last is actually the most fun one.  I got creative :)  It had some dings that I couldn't sand out,  So I got out the 'ol Dremmel tool and a few fun looking bits. I set it to high and burned some cool dents into the wood. Then I soaked it in tea for a day - Tetley, not Red Rose. Never, Red Rose.   Finally a few coats of spar varnish again.
I then took some felt with the sticky backing and cut it to size for the bottom of each. Seriously, so much fun and now I have enough felt, stain and varnish to last forever. I think I might try coffee on one of the 2" blocks and maybe mix up a few different colors of stain from the selection I currently have for some of the 1" blocks.

Also, I had a few questions regarding my flocking process - that's flocking, FLOCKING.  So here is pictorial breakdown of the process and a brief run down...
Step 1) Examine your base. Maybe there is a bare spot you want to cover or just feel it's a bit bland in one area. If you want realism put your flock/static grass near some rocks, that's where weeds and grass tend to cling since they trap moisture and provide shade.
Step 2) Prep your flock/static grass. I make a custom mix depending on the colors used on the base. Keep it consistent if you are doing a whole army to tie them all together.
Step 3) Mix your flock/static grass and apply your glue. I use simple Elmer's white glue and put it on AFTER the mini has been sealed. I use a tooth pick and not a brush to apply the undiluted glue, because you can draw out cool organic patterns and get into nooks and crannies with the tooth pick.
Step 4) Apply your flock/ static grass. Here's where it differs depending on what you use.
Flock: Simply sprinkle some over the glue and let it set for a minute or two then tap/ gently blow the excess off.
Static grass: Pick up a big clump with some tweezers and place it over the glue in a big pile, then use the handle of tweezers (if it is flat) or other small flat tool to gently press the pile of static grass down and hold it for a few seconds. The compression gives it a more natural spread out look as opposed to just sprinkling it on and shaking it off. Again, tap/ gently blow the excess off and you're done!

Next post: More Company Master WIPs and I got a bunch of stuff in the mail that I'll show you. The new rathcore mini holders for one, my spoils from the paint the city pink fundraiser and charity auction for another. Also, please check out the Blog roll as I've added more sites. For the love of God don't join C'MON ;)   It's super addictive, a great hobby resource for tips, tricks and retailers; as well as being a wellspring for awesome artists and blogs to draw inspiration from!
Thanks for the page views. Questions, comments and critiques are always welcome and remember you can't spell paint without a little pain.

6 comments:

  1. ohhhh
    i've been trying to get that wood color for quite some time - i mean the right one, now it's going to be a whole lot easier (and cheaper)
    also the Company Master looks great! I did the chaplain as well but might pick up this guy - looks like a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Glad you like him and the stain!

      Delete
  2. Loving your work on the DV stuff man. I picked up a box about a week ago and I've since painted one of the chaos chosen (on my blog now actually...) which was simultaneously fun and painstakingly slow so I feel your pain there!

    Damn the perfectionist in us! Hev ruins everything!!!

    Coincidentally I was also going to try out the same colour scheme for my DA's and after looking at yours I think I definitely will!

    Cheers,
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! They are nicely detailed kits but you can really get bogged down. I may take a break and do some non 40k stuff soon. I like a lot of the stuff on your site and branching out was one of my resolutions. You're chosen looks great. That's a damn nice shade of red and the gold is a great accent. Your on my blog roll and I'm a follower now too.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you. It was probably the most fun out of the stuff I did for this post. Honestly, that company master did not pan out how I had hoped, but they can't all be gems.

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.