Miniatures For Sale

Friday, April 05, 2013

On Display: The Blood Gift

Here are the display pics of my first attempt at a non 40K mini. It turned out really well and was a great way to  stretch my skills and learn new things that I can apply to my 40k subject matter in the future. In fact, I already applied the gold shading techniques I learned to the Choas Lord I am working on and few others to the pirates I am painting for the folks at the creativity factory. Enough talk - more pics...


 Here is the C'MON link. If you like her, throw a few votes up there ;) I also entered her in the DieVinci's online painting contest, but that was just for fun 'cause the level of talent in that competition is light years beyond me o_0

Final thoughts on this mini: I would highly recommend painting things outside your areas of interest to stretch your skills. Pick cool minis or join a miniature exchange and let someone pick for you (I just joined the ME32 exchange on C'MON recently) if you aren't sure where to start.

Next post: More WIPs of  the Chaos Lord. Please check the blog rolls as there are a few new blogs added and feel free to comment or critique my work on this lady.  Also, today the blog hit 13,000 page views so we are getting close to the 15,000 page views mark! When we hit it I will have another contest/give away. It will be called: "Thumbs Up or Bust" - you'll see why when we get there :D

Thanks for stopping by and remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, that is some great stuff. I also agree since I stepped away from 40k I am really getting some eye opening experience painting other minis as well as enjoying outside games.

    Voted on CMON, I was floored to see a 5.5, really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't really think the scores on C'MON are that accurate. They are nice to see, but totally subjective. Hell, Jarhead from massive voodoo has a mini on there right now that only has a 6.5 and it's a damn masterpiece o.0

      Delete
  2. Great stuff, I especially like the blues, the golds and blood look very nice too. I like the simplicity of the composition too, the fact that you didn't fill the whole base - it fits the mini perfectly. Did you make the plinth yourself or bought it somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You have no idea how hard it is for me to keep thing simple so I'm glad it paid off :) The base was made. I have been staining various sizes of wood blocks that I bought from Michael's craft stores. That one is a 1 inch cube which fits Freebooter minis perfectly. It came in a pack of 13 for about $6CAD. I have some 2 inch ones for 40mm based minins and some 1.5 inch ones for 30mm based minis. I also have a bunch of felt with sticky backing that I can cut to size and put on the bottoms of the cubes (because I am crazy) to give them that finishing touch. They are displayed in a few of my previous posts (I think the company master display post has a good group shot of them).

      Delete
  3. Looks great Zab. Nice to see a pale complexion for a change. I can't agree more with the stretch yourself on something different idea, it just makes you a better painter in every way. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't think any other skin tone would have worked with that blue dress ;) I'm currently working on some pirates in between the Chaos Lord and then I'm going to try out the airbrush on the rest of the DV minis just to keep expanding my skills and maybe help people decide if they want to try airbrushing without having to take the plunge themselves!

      Delete
  4. CMON is only good for ideas,rank system is crap.

    Nice paint job Zap, great colour choice.
    Two small thinks I would fix.
    The eyes: For normal eyes right and left beside the pupil a white dot, or for demonic look a red pupil. (details)
    Blood on the bottom: small black dots or black stripes let the blood looks like more realistic.

    greetings from the 5th-dimention :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tend to take the scores on C'MON with a grain of salt; it's the people, forums and minis that I like most (the shop is great too - I may go broke). Thanks for the advice re the blood and eyes - blood is too much fun to play with and eyes are the hardest part of any mini for me. Practice makes perfect right?

      Delete
  5. Hey Zab,

    First, thank you for commenting on my site.

    Second, how do you skin for women? I'd love to do sylvian elves for blood bowl and there is a lot of skin and I'm just to chicken to come out of the corner, get them, and do it by trial an error. I'm thinking I need a starting point... Something simple that a moderately aged, ex-soldier of the sky,cranky guy like me could paint.

    thanks,

    CK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hey, you add a lot of entertainment to what Synn writes with your comments; so of course I web stalked you and joined your site ;) I felt the same way about doing a mini with this much skin.

      This is the run down on how I did the wet blending for her which was super fun and at first, totally scary.

      http://almostperftec.blogspot.ca/2013/03/wip-freebooter-le-xmas-2006-mini-skin.html

      If you want something simpler than that, I found this neat site in my research on skin tones *NSFW*

      http://www.skankgame.com/Painting101.html

      Hope that helps :)

      Delete
    2. Oops, one more bit of reference for skin tones that may help you:

      http://chestofcolors.com/how-to-paint-faces/

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.