Miniatures For Sale

Friday, December 20, 2013

WIP: Skull Final Touches

Let's finish this base up shall we? Above are a few shots of what the skull looks like with the various moss and lichen and washes. Of course there is more to do, so much more...


The next picture has a few great shots of the light blueish white lichen. Which used this lovely idea here as a basis: http://miniaturefairytales.blogspot.co.at/2013/04/how-to-paint-lichens-on-trees-rocks.html?m=1 You should really check out Miniature Fairy Tales (it's in my blog roll). I added it after coming across that great tutorial on Tutofig.
Then I broke out the pigments to give it even more of a dirty, ancient feel.
Finally, it was time to add some static grass in patches to truly make it feel overgrown. TIP: Never use just one kind of color, create your own custom blends with a few different colors for what you want to achieve - it will fit your piece and look more realistic.
My tools. Apply the thinned glue to the base with a toothpick for better accuracy.
Pick up a small clump of your grass mix with your tweezers and drop in onto the glue on your base in a decent sized pile. Then use the flat handle of the tweezers to flatten the grass out with some gentle pressure. Finally tip that baby up side down and give it a few smacks on the bottom to knock the loose grass off and you will be left with a fairly realistic looking patch of grass that doesn't stand straight up and look odd.
Then I toyed with the idea of making some flowers for the base out of paper, florist's wire, carpenters glue and flock.
Ultimately, I left them off because they weren't the right scale or feel for the piece and I didn't want the base to be cluttered. I still have them though and they will probably make their way into some other project because they came out so nice.

That is the base and skull finished!

In other news I got my prize from Captain LOL's Christmas giveaway! Thanks Captain!!! Sorry  if my WIP camera and desk lamp don't do it justice - it's a fabulous piece with a place of pride in my display cabinet. If you aren't following his blog Figurine Passion you are missing out - Pssst it's in my blog roll too ;)

Next post: WIPs begin on the Fianna sword maiden from Rackham!!! Thanks for stopping by, have a very merry Christmas and a happy new year if I don't hear from you in the comments and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain :)

15 comments:

  1. Holy crap. Captain LOL is ridiculously talented...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! Him and James Wappel crank super high quality painting out with daily posts too!

      Delete
  2. Great work on this Skull Zab i follow the progress .
    I'm glad that you have received the figurine I beat me a little because with the post you never know ;)
    Merry Christmas my friend !
    Vincent ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was fun to weather that skull, and thank you again for the mini XD

      Delete
  3. Nice job Zab, CaptainLOL's work is neat I just had a weee click through, I have his CMON page saved but better to have a blog :)
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - it's easier to spy on him from his blog and try to steal his secrets of awesomeness from there ;)

      Delete
  4. Did you lose power today? I'm ok, but my parents in Etobicoke are powerless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah we lost power at 130am Sunday and then it didn't come back on until 630pm. Luckiiy my dad had power the whole time up in Rexdale so we all camped out up at his place. It has been crazy, the ice looks pretty on the trees but the constant cracking and smashing of falling icy branches is unnerving to say the least. o_O

      Delete
    2. Ah, the dangerous beauty of nature. I'm hosting my brother's family as they're still dark

      I know what you mean about the ominous clacking in the trees...

      Delete
    3. Oh man that is a long time to be out of power this time of year. At least they have you to fall back on. I hope they are settled for Christmas with no ill effects to their home :)

      Delete
    4. Thanks, Zab. All is well. I'm just not getting as much painting as I had anticipated-5 kids running around!

      Delete
  5. Absolutely fantastic work, man! The use of the weathering powders is superlative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! I have be careful though as I want to put them on everything.

      Delete
  6. Merry Christmas Zab, have a great day with your Family :)

    ReplyDelete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.