Miniatures For Sale

Friday, February 28, 2014

On Display: Dark vengeance Cultist Leaders & Heavy Weapons

So there was a bit of frosting when I sprayed these guys :(  Some day I'll go back and fix that with some gloss and some flat. For now though, they are good enough for table top level minis. More pictures...



I'll stop here and show more of the troops later or this will turn into a finger cramping scroll fest o_O I'm upset about the frosting, but really these guys were just a learning experiment to me and I achieved a high comfort level with my new SW washes so I'll still call it a win ;)

I'm becoming kind of impatient with army painting so I think the DV set will be my last army project. Actually, this spring I'll be ditching most if not all of my terrain and armies for more space for display minis. If it can be shipped without damage it'll be on ebay and if it's too big or too breakable it'll be part of a 40k garage sale in Toronto on some nice spring weekend! At any rate I'll give you all a heads up before stuff is up for sale (and on the garage sale for folks in the T-Dot) so you can get the jump on it if you are interested and of course there will be tons of pics here to help you decide what if anything you want. Sound good? Yeah it does! I mean there has to be some benefit to being a follower of this blog (even if it's only dibs on dusty terrain and armies).

Next post: A new project goes active: Project Alice...  Now go check out that blog roll because I found some nice new blogs! As always hit me up with questions, comments or concerns below and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain :)

20 comments:

  1. Great look and work Zab , very good effect on guns .
    Greetings .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I just had fun with glazes ;)

      Delete
  2. Cultists look great, you should share the group photo :) I think you burned the photos slightly this time (at least the skin looks like that - metallics seem fine), or is it my laptop screen settings? Anyway, awesome work and I totally understand the patience thing, I tend to get really bored when I have to paint similar minis more than once or twice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's your screen, they look a little over exposed, but part of that is the frosting creating a weird screening type effect too. I respect commission painters even more now for the armies and squads they have to do for clients. I have no idea how they stay motivated. I'm not sure you could pay me to paint an army anymore o_O

      Delete
  3. Zab, they look great!! The frosting isn't to bad in pictures actually gives them a worn dusty appearance suitable to scum like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look a bit faded and worn ;)

      Delete
  4. Those turned out looking great, Zab! The light frosting does give them a faded and worn appearance that works pretty well.

    That said, I feel your disappointment with the frosting issue, always a blow when that happens. I've had pretty good luck with doing an application of gloss spray sealant, which does a reasonable job clearing up the fog, then following up with another matte coat once it's dried to knock the shine down. Might be worth a shot.

    Looking forward to seeing what's up on deck next! Keep up the great work, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! Yeah i do the gloss and matte trick too. I used vallejo and thinned it too much so it frosted. Good thing is that with handling the matte can rub off a bit so I'll wait a little and let the agent of chaos play with them until i am ready to fix 'em and that may help too ;)

      Delete
  5. Friend Otter approves of your solution.

    And, yeah, group shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friend otter is wise ;) I don't have any group shots right now, but I will be featuring side by side shots of the duplicate sculpts to show off the conversions better!

      Delete
  6. Sign me up for some dusty scenery!

    I get your army painting woes. I'm now into year 6 if working on my Blood Ravens! The bloom is starting to come off the rose, but practicing new techniques keeps it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the Blood Ravens. I'm pretty sure they are just the cast off sons of Magnus and his ilk (great background BTW)! Agreed, after a few squads you really have to get creative to keep plugging away at them. Just wait until FW does the Thousand Sons HH minis and see if some of that will reboot your passion for Gabriel and his chapter... I bet you could do some neat conversions and subtle allusions to the Blood Ravens mysterious origins ;)

      Delete
  7. And don't worry too much about the frosting. As has been pointed out above, it doesn't take away from the effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm okay with it now. Although, it was still one of those hobby moments that makes you pause and quietly, but forcefully utter a string of curses that is able to curl ones hair ;)

      Delete
  8. Simple solution to avoid frosting - change matt varnish :D
    I'm using vallejo polyurethane matt varnish 27.651.
    And it's quite durable too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically, that is exactly the brand i used.I just over thinned it and blasted it on at the wrong PSI through the AB. I still think testors dulcote is the best, but I don't want to rack up a massive bill from trying to use those tiny cans to matte coat entire squads o_O

      Delete
  9. I am blown away by how you painted the hammer (handle looks fantastic) and spanner. It may seem minor but they look very realistic. Very nice attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! TMM just requires 5 millions glazes to make it look good. I think the detailed sculpt made the handle easy to paint. I know people rage over GW a lot, but they still crank out a lot of really nice minis and have some great details on their sculpts which honestly, makes them a joy to paint.

      Delete
  10. Pretty sure I read somewhere that if you rub a very small amount of olive oil (or some other similar oil) it reduces the effect of the frosting.

    Might be worth a try, otherwise excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds interesting. I'll see if it works hen i pull these bad boys back out the fix em..

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.