Miniatures For Sale

Friday, February 14, 2014

WIP: Dark Vengeance Cultists - Shading and highlights

Okay, so we left off here last week. A brief review of the Secret Weapon Washes: They are very interesting. Somewhere between a GW type wash and a Vallejo ink. You could paint with them if you so desired. Shake well and get some glass or ceramic beads for agitators as the pigments do tend to settle out quite  a bit. Let's see them in action...


I went ahead and broke a few of the "rules" for washes here as I really wanted to see what they could do and how they would behave. Namely, I over thinned them, and let them pool where I would normally be far more precise.  Here is a look at everybody shaded down with various colors.
 So as you can see there are tide marks and deposits where the pigment has broken away from the mix as it dried. Quite bit of shine too. Still, these are dirty stinkin' cultists so they should look stained and grubby. Next I went back with my paints and added more highlights to bring  everything back up and push the contrast. I used the lighter more neutral colors to keep things muted and dirty.
 So that's where I stopped before final details and bases. I'm pretty happy with the new washes and my first real attempt at a limited palette. Now a look at what The Lady Inquisitor was up to lately.
She loves paper crafts. She often makes custom invitations and cards for every event. My brother in law got this completely one of a kind card for his wedding! Told you she was hardcore ;)

Next post: Final touches on the cultists before assembly and display pics ( and disaster too O.O ). Check out the blog roll as I found a couple more great blogs, hit me up in the comments section and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain :)

12 comments:

  1. Very cool! It's so tempting to just wash and call it good, but a further highlight afterward always pays off. Those look fantastic, man - really enjoying seeing them come together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! For tabletop paint jobs I was surprised with how well they are coming out.

      Delete
  2. I'm very impressed at how these are panning out. Keep braking the rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was very liberating to make them grimy and uneven.

      Delete
  3. They start to look really fantastic, can't wait to see them finished. Breaking the rules and experimenting with new things is the great way to develop imo, and a whole lot of fun! :) Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's great to play not just with new models, but new tools. I highly recommend picking up some secret weapon washes if you get the chance. They are good for mixing with paints too,

      Delete
  4. As the others have said before Zab, these are looking great!

    I'm quite intrigued at the possibility of painting with these? Any chance of a quick demo?

    Great work my the Lady Inquisitor too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I think after I am done with my next project (Alice from tale of war) I might just prime up a mini in white and paint it using only washes, black and white.

      Delete
  5. http://fromthewarp.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/secret-weapon-washes-critical-review.html

    Thought this might be helpful, for anyone thinking about getting the washes, Ron from the warp, recommends not shaking the washes before use. This apparently gives better results.

    Lastly, they do look fantastic, keep up the good work!

    Also the recipe secret weapon uses is "open source" so if you fancy making up some random colour then the recipe to do so is here: http://www.awesomepaintjob.com/index.cfm/resources.recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really good point and something I forgot to explain. I use agitator beads and shake gently. Even then you should let the washes sit for a few minutes. They tend to dry weird and splotchy if over shaken. They do need to be mixed though as the pigments do tend to settle quite prominently on the bottom and come out very shiny if they aren't mixed.

      Delete
  6. Even after all these years of painting (ok ok so it's only three or less ... heh heh) I am still always amazed as to how much washes and highlights can transform a miniature. ^^ Though I must admit that since these are a new kind of washes that I am unfamiliar with, they might enchancing the models above and beyond what normal washes may do. Well done so far Zab!

    Love the card too by Lady Inquisitor. Looks really professional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be honest, i much prefer making my own washes now over using premixed ones, but i had a few coupons and there was a boxing day sale so I took the plunge. The next thing i want to try with these is mixing them with paints. The Lady Inquisitor is always mortified when i share her work, so thanks for the kind words :)

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.