Miniatures For Sale

Friday, May 02, 2014

On Display: Project Alice

Done and done! This was a really fun project form the base work and limited palette all the way through to the stenciling and blood effects.  Enjoy the display pics below...


 Here's the C'MON link if you feel like throwing a few votes my way. And here's the P&P link if you want to see bigger, better pics. Oh and a shout out to those of you surfing from Lithuania!  I was checking my stats the other day and saw a bunch of hits from that part of the world. My mom was from that country.

***NOVA UPDATE***
Well, I laid in with the airbrush using John's Ultramarines blue recipe...
Great colors - love it! All that in 1 hour. The new Badger Velocity came in really handy for the last spot highlights. There is still edge highlighting and some washing to do, but that will come later in the detailing phase. Not sure if I should silly putty mask and do other parts or just switch to brush work now...

Next post: Painting minis with Secret Weapon washes. Video, pictures and a wall of text taking you through what was for me, a very fun little experiment. Thanks for stopping by, check out that blog roll for new blogs, leave me any questions, comments or critiques below and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain!

10 comments:

  1. Stunning work, man! That turned out looking spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted to do that one for a long time so i am really happy it turned out well, but damn Tale of war minis are petite!

      Delete
  2. Great paint Zab , nice face and nice base , compliments .
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Now shake off that Irish hangover and get back to painting beautiful models ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Limited set of colors works great here, I like the base a lot as well (and the plinth - good idea with the blood splatter there).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, this one really just fell together quite nicely! I think I'll try even more limited palette work in the future :)

      Delete
  5. As you already know, I have been loving the work you have been doing on Alice. ^_^
    Also, looking at your W40K minis is making me wonder if I should get some out to paint. Maybe I will read a few Black Library books to get into the mood. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Oh! I just got the bunny rider and kraken hunter from ax faction in the mail. I'll be watching your work on her closely. My God they are small, smaller even than Alice! GW minis may have weird proportions but the details are exaggerated and so they can be a fun break to work on :)

      Delete
  6. Looking good, Alice came out great!
    I can just see the colour change in the scouts.

    Get crazy with that Airbrush and get a spare marine and lay down your ultramarine blue then some french blue and dark purple in the shadows, a mix of UB and VMC sand for the highlights about 50/50 mix it as you go for transitions, then last highlight glacial blue. The trick is to apply them as a glaze through the AB light coats and build them up like you would with a brush. Then make a watery glaze of UB and wash that mini. To get smoother transitions you can wash it in between colour transitions to soften them and fix any miss hap's, last but it's important use the wash as a spot wash if you go too far into the darks you loose the depth and too far into the lights same thing, so only the bear minimum over the extremes to pull it together.

    Happy Painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh they need more work, but this was just the beginning layering, the rest will be brush work. I'm actually following a certain recipe as they have to tie in with the rest of the force for the NOVA Macragge project. 14 artists trying to paint several units. I want to keep pushing them further, but I have to remember that they need to match the rest of the army - I also have to temper my perfectionism with the reminder that i am working towards a deadline ;)

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.