Miniatures For Sale

Friday, June 20, 2014

WIP: Helion Rain - Colors & Painting Begins!

Ready for painting with a sloppy two toned priming! Now let's see what colors we should use...

Ugh, what a mess.
Here we go...
Soooooo, not a limited palette then? No. I like to start with the faces and the eyes are first.
 Now to basecoat that skin...
 The eyes on one scout were done bass ackwards so I had to redo the basecoat.
Onto the shades...
 And final highlights...
  That was a surprising amount of work o_O A good place to stop, then. Pale bastards, these Raven Guard.
***NOVA UPDATE***
More scouts! I went for the classic cream colored cloth on the Ultramarines :)
 Sorry if the pics were a bit soft. I'm still getting used to the new WIP camera ;)
***NOVA UPDATE***

Next post: More scouts! Thanks for clicking, check out the blog roll for new blogs and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain.

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely loving those ultras - I really enjoy the paint breakout pics as well, always interested to see what colors you are using!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. I probably won't use all the colors out there but those are the ones i feel will work initially. I could kick myself for never painting ultras until now. they are so fun and an easy PJ too!

      Delete
  2. A lot of colours indeed and just looking at them puts me in a happy place. ^_^

    Why the use of two-tone priming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally when done right you get a lighter gradient on top and darker one below. Let me stress that this was NOT done right. It's much easier to do with the airbrush. Painters touch has changed their nozzeles and they appear to spray globs instead of a fine spray now. Oh well, i'll try another brand next time :P

      Delete
  3. Death to da Beakies!
    -_-
    Those are really nice tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! I know. Even I'm getting burnt out on scouts. The future holds a giant squig, some steampunk dwarves, and a couple old school, metal, rt era beakie marines. First more scouts...

      Delete
  4. Keep em coming zabs, looking good mate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the opportunity to see your scouts in person and they are beautiful. I wish I had scouts half as nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I consider that high praise from a painter of your caliber :D It was a labor of love. Scouts are my fav minis from GW and your ultra recipe made it easy for them to look good. Ironically, I seem to do my best when the work is for others and not going to just sit in my display cabinet o_O

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.