Miniatures For Sale

Friday, July 18, 2014

NOCF WIP: Scouts - Chipping & Streaking

Now I can't stress this enough: Always test weathering techniques on a spare mini or something else before putting them onto well painted minis. Also, less is always more. Above you can see my tests for chipping with various sponge mediums. After the break: streaks o_O I feel like I may have just lost some squeamish readers...

I think the brown will work nicely for the blue scouts armour. I settled for blister foam and these colors for the chipping...
Less is more. Remember that. Onto the pics!
I also had a very nice painting session with The Agent Of Chaos. She wanted to upgrade her fire dolphin. Usually she just asks what I'm painting and disappears in a puff of evil. But this time she saw all my paints and needed to try 'em out, ya know, since they were already out there anyway ;)


In other news, last week was the first ever Hold The Line Convention in Toronto. I entered some minis in the painting contest and walked away with some medals!
I hope they do it again next year :)

Next post: Assembling and basing the Scouts. Thanks for clicking on by. Oh! The NOCF has a blog now and it's been added to the blog roll. If you would like to help spread the word and add it to yours too! See? A million little way to help them out - not just throwing moneys at them ;)  Hit me with any questions, comments or critiques and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain!

16 comments:

  1. Zab my man, I just set up my very first wet pallet ever, programmed myself an appropriate music playlist, and I'm about to start painting some stuffs.
    I stopped by for some inspiration.

    Is that Telion's body?
    Wow, man- nice werk.
    Am inspired naow.
    Thanks.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! Yeah Telion came out great, I'm pretty happy with that XD Have fun with wet on wet, take it slow and it should be fine. I'm just trying to learn James Wappel's Shaded Base Coat Technique -_- The first mini was smashed under the hammer of rage, but the next one is going better :P

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! Finally scored something with that damn dragon dio!

      Delete
  3. I'm not gonna crack any 'golden helmet' jokes, neither...
    :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the medals, Zab. Well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh ... I see that the Agent of Chaos's mastery of colours will soon surpass that of a certain award winning painter. :) Great to get the young ones involved in art. Fantastic post and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joke all you like but, my first attempt at James Wappel's shaded base coat came out looking about the same as her dolphin - except hers looked better o_O

      Delete
  6. Having recently finished painting scouts as well, I'm watching your progress with interest. Very brave with the weathering. Doing it on tanks is one thing, but I'm always afraid to ruin a "peftecly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry-posting glitch. Anyway, don't want to ruin a perfectly good paint job with too much weathering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was nerve wracking. Try it in a small area (like their butt flaps) and see if you like it if not cover it up and no one will know.

      Delete
    2. It was definitely nerve wracking. Try it on their butt plates and if you don't like it those are easy to repaint ;)

      Delete
  8. Heh...my mad push to finish up a force for NOVA got my wife in the mood to work on hers, and our 2 year old had to get in on the action too. Unexpected benefits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family paint session?! That's just so awesome :)

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.