Miniatures For Sale

Friday, September 12, 2014

WIP: Display Bases - Final Details & Priming

Good news, this is the last basing post for a while and the painting will commence soon :) Above is the completed giant squig display base. After the break we'll take a look at the details more closely...

A variety of textures was used to show dirt, gravel, stone and such. Remember nature doesn't do order and symmetry so look at lots of ref pics and be kind of random.
Then it was onto the RT era base, not much to tell same deal with the textures and then a two tone priming to help me sketch out my shading with the airbrush later.

And then it was onto the final details of the Dwarf bases. This required me to stretch my sculpting skills a bit and I really like little projects that force me into new territory. There are three bases to help represent the three dwarf's locations in the mini exchange.
First up is Canny from NZ on a rocky coast with splashing waves. That wasn't enough to sell it though, so I decided he needed a seagull on his base. Closest I could find was a raven from reaper. A raven looks nothing like a seagull so I had to snip his tail feathers, cut off his legs and re-sculpt them with more of a webby look and round his head out more. His beak needs a bit of work, but he's good enough at this scale.
Next up was Demihuman's dwarf from San Fran Bay. So of course he gets a dock (by the bay) with a fish - yes I know angler fish are deep sea creatures, but this will let me play with OSL and clear resin on his base!
Last of all was my base from the exotic land of Toronto with all our... road work -_-  I found some pylons and a sign set at a toy store but it wasn't quite right...
...so of course there were conversions...
 ...and then decisions...
I went for the sign in the end. Hey now! Everyone else has a creature, so I grabbed a few bones rats, but they were too big. They did make nice models to pose as I sculpted my own in the right scale though...
 Again, not the best, but pretty good given the scale I am working at right?
And of course the primed group shot:
Man that was a lot of base work! I need to get comfy with a brush again before I tackle that giant squig, but when I do it'll go like poop through a goose thanks to a new technique I've been playing with and my trusty airbrush!

Next post: I'll bring you on my journey as I review James Wappel's painting DVDs and my adventures with trying out his Shaded Basecoat Technique! Thanks for stopping by, leave me some comments, questions or critiques and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain :)

11 comments:

  1. Very cool. I love the scenic bases and little animals you are adding to them. They will look great once painted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really love base building and tend to get lost in the details quite happily :)

      Delete
  2. The mouse and duck is very realistic ! Well done .
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoy all the work you put into your bases. Its amazing to watch them come together, and inspiring to those of us who haven't spent much time making our own bases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks man! These are all display bases so they benefit from the extra effort. I certainly wouldn't pour this kind of effort into gaming pieces ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is one of the reasons I find this info even more useful! I recently submitted by first mini to a competition and lost points for using a resin base. Now I know I need to spend as much time on the base as the model!

      Delete
  5. They look awesome, love the amount of detail you put in each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa nice piece of sculpting there! I am assuming that because of the scale no hands were used to sculpt the details and it was all tools?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the majority of it was tools but basic shapes were laid out first with my hands, then a thin layer of green stuff was applied over that to create details. Not that hard when you break it down into smaller steps ;)

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.