Miniatures For Sale

Friday, October 31, 2014

WIP: Shipping The Giant Squig

 So the Squig and base are done. Now we have to protect him during his travels...

Take a look that that base though. It's big, and crammed with fragile details that we can't pack stuff against. Also, the cave is made of foam, but the base is black walnut so it could crush itself in shipping if it gets dropped. What to do?
Well, you have to build a reinforced box with a base and floating frame to keep the whole thing in place.
I glued the box flaps down and added some more cardboard to the bottom where the base will sit.













Then I began to mark and assemble the sub frame that the base would be attached to...
That pretty pencil with the heart? Very important. Get one. Without it your measurements won't be pretty enough.
 Where are you going? Nowhere.
 Now to mark out the foam pieces that will keep the sides from being crushed and keep that sub frame pressed firmly to the bottom of the box...
 That void in the top will be filled with padding like a crumple zone in case it gets crushed or stacked. Last of all you plaster it with fragile and this end up stickers and pray it makes the journey o_O Sad fact: No matter what you do about 1 in 15 just have a rough trip and get damaged. It happens no matter how well you package them. The artist who sculpted this sent me pics of the package when it got there... Yep, they crushed it or dropped it or something.
Okay, maybe they threw it around -_-
 Could have been worse. Shouldn't have happened at all, really. Oh well, I'll drown my sorrows in Halloween candy!Onto the next one! RT era beakies for a mini exchange :)

Next Post: Display pics of the giant squig before the gentle souls at the post office got a hold of it. Tell me your shipping woes or console me in the comments and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain ;)

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll have nicer display pics next week :)

      Delete
  2. I'm back... and your stuff is still looking gooooood.

    I like the basing. I'm good at that sort of thing and enjoy a good 'base'... wierd, I know.

    I'll be in the corner! Where else would I be!?

    CK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I know, I love base building too. Not weird at all.

      Delete
  3. Auuuuugh! As I was reading through the post I got that sinking feeling that the ending wasn't as happy as one may have hoped. You really went above and beyond on the packing and they still managed to mangle it. The horror... the horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to be mad, furious even. but this happens to about 1 in 20. It's why commission artists charge quite bit for shipping on top of the painting fee. I have the pictures to comfort me and really I like the building and painting more than the having. It just sucks that it happened to a project that was for someone else.

      Delete
  4. I always wonder how people transport these guys. I keep wondering how to move my own mini's around...and this isn't so much a mini as an art piece. I think I'd only be comfortable when I was holding it on a plane, and not letting anyone sit next to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even then security can rip open the package and destroy the work as happened to a friend of mine from c'mon. No sure thing when transporting minis :(

      Delete
  5. I suggest you go to the local post office and go postal on them ... get it? get it? Sigh, me and the lame jokes ... wow you truly did a lot of work to transport this mini. Was this a custom piece for a customer? Once I had to turn down a request to paint and deliver Wolverine because I had no idea how to transport him without breaking off the blades on his hand. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, It's part of the reason i don't do commissions. I can''t guarantee the safety of the project and insuring it for the full price makes the customs and shipping ridiculously expensive for everyone. This was favor to a friend so it hurts that much more. Oh well. Karma will get the SOB who did this for me. I'll just move onto the next project :)

      Delete
  6. Urrrg, that makes me sad.. and it looked like it'd been packed so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. Sometimes though they have a rough journey whether by chance or by malice you can never know. It still smarts, but at least the sculptor was able to repair it and the squig itself wasn't wrecked.

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.