Miniatures For Sale

Friday, January 16, 2015

WIP: Rackham Dwarves - Mid Tones

Last time we saw these guys was when I broke out the AB for the giant squig. Time to switch to bristles and lay in some mid tones...

Each of them has a undertone and so that was mixed in with the darkest flesh layer to tie them to their bases. Then it was just a matter of blending up  to the lightest color.
 Next up was the hoses...
 Then the metals...
 And of course the beards...
 Wood on their weird barrels was next...
 The lenses were one of the last things blocked in...
 Finally I deepened the shadows and mids on the leather parts...
 The under tone color was a mixed into the deepest shades of each set of colors even if it wasn't pictured with the other paints. I don't have a break down of ratios because I was just working straight from the pallet onto the mini mixing and blending as I went. I am getting more and more comfortable just blending as a I go and rarely use layering anymore, but you could layer the colors shown and then glaze them after with a shade or ink to pull them together.

Next post: Shades and glazes. Thanks for stopping by! Hit me up in the comments with any questions or critiques and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain :)

10 comments:

  1. Awesome! I always loved the Rackham dwarf sculpts - They're somehow just a little more menacing than they appear at first glance. Beautiful work on 'em, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! These were super fun to work on. Rackham had a ton of great stuff and the detail on these babies can rival a lot of stuff cast in today's metal. They are a joy to paint :)

      Delete
  2. ust... wow.

    I'm almost ashamed to paint now. Almost.

    I'll have to come back tomorrow during a break and re-look at what you are doing... as it's almost time for me to get to bed. I'm painting a 'restroom' in one corner while the Irish Princess and the Irish Queen clean some stuff for the arrival of another minion in March. the Irish King and the man-child are fending for stuff to do and make 'food' runs back to the corner.

    As always... thanks for stopping on my blog and commenting...

    *Disappears into a corner...*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah never feel that way. Paint everything, minis, walls, craft paper. You are crazy having a brood like that but I respect you so much. I have on;y on agent of chaos to battle i can;t even begin to imagine all that. Though we will be adding two furry feline minions this fall.... o_O

      Delete
  3. Those are really nice choices of skin tone ... well suited to the project your are doing now. Even at extreme closeups their skin tones do not appear chalky at all. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I used a lot of glaze medium and did quite bit of wet on wet work to keep it smooth and fine.

      Delete
  4. Oooh zab posts...how did I miss these! Great use of color. I love how it flows through the figures! (Zips off to next post)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they may all look like the same post because i spent so much time on the step by step for these guys.

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.