Miniatures For Sale

Friday, February 27, 2015

WIP: Rackham Dwarve - Dock Base

All ready to do another base? Too bad -_- We're doing it! Supplies above colors below. Away we gooooooooooo....

Colors for the seaweed:
Colors for the Sand:
 Colors for the angler fish (Yes, I know they are deep water fish - I claim the right of creative licence)...
 Concrete Colors next:
 Wood Colors for the dock. 2 phases, mids & highs - then glazes & washes...
 OSL from the fishy was next with some very simple colors...
 I may have drybrushed a little, but with resin poured on it wont look chalky so it'll serve :P
Now some pigments to really bring it together...
 Next is to assemble and spray it before the resin is poured...
Then it was resin time. I think I could have gone darker but you never know how much to add before it gets murky or opaque. I'll push it next time ;)
 Yay! That one didn't take long at all (except for the 48hrs waiting for the resin to dry, but at least I got the other base done during the wait).

Next Post: Display pics of this fella! Thanks for coming along on the journey, leave me questions and comments below and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain!

11 comments:

  1. Really like this one. Love the base. It really brings the mini alive. That fish is so cool.

    How do you get the resin in the box shape? Do you use plasticard as a former? Always wanted to try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I wish i had done more of a SBS on the resin. next Time I'll take pics for sure. In the meantime I used Meg Maples way of doing it a couple times now and it has worked like a dream! Obligatory Link:

      http://arcanepaintworks.blogspot.ca/2014/01/water-bases-square-display.html

      Do a few test pieces first so you don't ruin something you have worked really hard on with a bad mix ;)

      Delete
    2. Great, thanks Zab. That is an awesome site :)

      I shall give it a go soon. Gotta decide what to paint first :)

      Delete
  2. Wow Zab, the work you did on the wood grains and cement blocks were simply amazing. Very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Pigments make for great streaking mediums :)

      Delete
  3. Really nice man, beautiful base..

    And who says that's and angler fish? could be some native fantasy fish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zab, you're becoming a master of "still life". These bases (and those that came before) are really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I may just paint bases from now on o_O Screw the minis!

      Delete
  5. fantastic Zab. I have just sanded yours back to get it looking good when I put the ice shelf on did you sand yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Yeah i sanded mine, I feel like the polishing tool on the giant squig worked better but it did take off quite a bit of resin and this one was too small and fragile for that so it was good o'l elbow grease the whole way ;)

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.