Miniatures For Sale

Friday, March 13, 2015

WIP: Rackham Dwarve - Construction Base

This is the stuff for the base representing me and my dwarve from the construction-y land of Toronto. Shall We WIP?


Colors for the concrete jungle...
 Rusty metal sign next...
 Next I used that trick you can read about every where with hairspray and the colors below to weather the sign. This may in fact be the best freehand work I have ever done. I used my hands to manipulate tools to apply decals, but there were no bionic enhancement used. That's what freehand means right? o_O
 Next was the cute little squirrel-like creature that has no hair on his tail. I forget what they are called... Little help from the corner?
 Busted pipe was next...
 Then I got down and dirty with some dirt :P
Pigments gave everything that grimy urban feel...
 Gross. Now for some OSL...
Time to assemble and spray...
And finally we add some toxic ooze...
Did you know Toronto has some of the best tap water in the world? just look at that healthy glow!
Welcome to Toronto, please be patient as we improve our city... ENDLESSLY -_-

Next Post: Display pics of this character with a few group shots of the other little dudes! Thanks for stopping by, hit me with some comments and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain ;)

17 comments:

  1. I want to buy you so many beers and just talk to you about bases...omfg Zab. That sign is beyond gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The sign certainly blew my mind too. Oh sure there was intent, but after each step I was all "Holy crap" myself :D

      Delete
  2. Fantastic work!!

    Man, do I ever miss Confrontation...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sadly, I only discovered them recently, they are some of the most characterful minis i have every seen - there may be a few wolfen type minis in my future ;)

      Delete
  3. That looks great. Particularly like the weatherimg on the sign, but the whole piece is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He has pride of place in my cabinet :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely piece man.

    Particularly like the use of complimentary colours in the base, pushing the blues through the concrete to pick them up with the orange and rust of the sign, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man, yeah years of art classes and color theory in high school and numerous psychology of perception course in university is finally good for something! Yay!

      Delete
  5. Awesome base - you're really taking them to a higher level with these 3 dwarf minis :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they were a lot of fun and i guess it really showed :)

      Delete
  6. Great work mate, I must got get some 1000 grit to sand back your resin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Nah, 600 is usually enough with a little gloss coat after :)

      Delete
  7. It's just me but I can't seem to place the colours you used to achieve the reddish tint in the earth around the pipe outlet in your second/third photos. May I ask what paints did you use? They made the earth look ultra realistic IMHO. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly use Games Workshop for my earth tones. It was likely Gorthor Brown as that given a nice rich tone to the earth.

      Delete
  8. This guy looks awesome! ... and ,of course, the sign is off the chain! I'm glad to see someone doing these confrontation guys they have so much character... I might have to move some of them a bit closer to the front of the line at my painting table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! Yeah, rackham had some cool stuff, they were way ahead of their time and it's sad they aren't around anymore.

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.