Miniatures For Sale

Friday, March 27, 2015

WIP: What Would WIll Do (WWWD)

This one is going to be quick. I used James Wappel's Shaded Basecoat Technique again to get this quick little piece done in a few sittings just to see what kind of balance I could strike between time and effort...


Prepping the minis:
Glue base, add texture.
Assemble super petite fembot - wait, how the hell am I gonna paint that o.O
iRobot inspired. Looks like he's saying "Think dammit! THINK! What would Will Smith do?!"
Begin painting! Yes, I primed it - refer to the shot at the top of the post...
Shaded Basecoat:

Mids and highs:

Shades and Glazes: I may have forgotten to take pictures. To make up for it I may do a short video of this piece later - once I review the footage and see if I stayed in frame ;)

Highs and darks:  For contrast and maybe some battle damage too. Again, forgot a bunch of pics.

Dark lining: going for a forced contrast cartoony vibe.

Pigments!

Final assembly and positioning:

OSL test: Remember the minis I painted with just secret weapon washes?
Psst. Dude, your crack is glowing.
OSL:
After a spray of Dulcote, it is done!

5 hours in total. There is so much more I could have done to push it from Table Top Plus into Display Quality, but I wanted to see what I could do within a 5 hour limit and the skill set I have. I'm happy, what do you think?

Next post: Display pics of this fun little vignette. Thanks for coming along! Check out that blog roll as I have added a bunch of blogs! Comment in the comments - or hurl invective if you like - and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain :P

18 comments:

  1. That is fantastic, man! Really dig how that turned out, beautifully done!

    Love the marbled effect on the base, too. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! In the video later there will be some decent shots of how I got that effect. It's shockingly simple. I may feel confident enough to do marble on a few more pieces in the future :)

      Delete
  2. This was very, very interesting, your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks awesome, can't believe it can be done in 5 hours. I sometimes feel like it's difficult for me to lay basecoats in that time ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man :) James' wet on wet technique really helps it move along. It looks like six different kinds of crap early on but then everything starts to fall into place.. The more you do it the more comfortable you get and faster too! I have adapted it to my own style and sometimes its fun to just race and see what you can knock out in a sitting or two!

      Delete
  4. I love love james style...and the best compliment I can give, is that your work does it justice :).I do think I would have dialed back the cool blue effect a tad, but this appears to be more of an a fun quick race then any piece you wanted detailed critique on. Nicely done Zab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep you are right! I think with 2 more hours I could have refined the OSL and upped the contrast a bit more. It was really hard to stop myself at the 5 hour mark. I still look at the piece and go hmm almost there...

      Delete
  5. Stop making it look so damn easy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, let me put in in perspective for ya! 20+ years of painting is how long it took to make it look this easy. I started with little WWII 1/72 infantry guys when i was like 9 or 10 cause that was what scale my dad built his kits in and then i moved up to ral partha and cidtadel and such. Not too bad. Maybe in another 20+ I'll even enter a contest or two :P

      Delete
    2. You should been entering contests constantly! It's so worth it! Your work is way past my level (need more practice!), and I've gotten a pin!

      But ya SinSynn...practice practice practice. Everyone starts somewhere, just keep painting, you only get better!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, but there's very little in the GTA, although that is starting to change. I love to paint and meet other painters but If I'm gonna drop money on airfare or take vacation days its always gonna be with the family first so contests kind of fall by the wayside unless they are local or online.

      Delete
    4. Makes sense. Well someday I hope to see some of your pieces in person :).

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness ... a glowing crack ... the pictures in my head ....
    Very nice piece for the small amount of time you put in Zab .
    By the way ... is WWWD the name of your vignette? What's the story behind this piece? More info please. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The title is a play on the whole christian bumper sticker WWJD or What Would Jesus Do? I figured since it was a preacher and the robot looked like the one from iRobot I'd call it What Would Will Do :P Just in time for Easter too - that was just a fluke ;)

      Delete
  7. Shot buddy, I'm feeling I actually enjoy painting 5-10 hour minis. concentrating on a few aspects and getting on with it. learning and moving on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! 3 years ago I set out to reach display level work. I am there! Do I have room to improve? ALWAYS - but - now I feel confident in my abilities so knocking out a few quick fun tests on some minis feels easier because I don't need validation and I don't feel pressure too prove myself with every mini ya, know?

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.