Miniatures For Sale

Friday, May 01, 2015

WIP: Monochrome Loka Pawns

A while ago CMoN was having a painting contest for limited palettes. I have wanted to paint up my Loka board games pieces forever and I have wanted to try a monochromatic paint scheme for a long time too. Two birds one stone? Yes please! *Note: No birds were hurt in the making of this post*

Normally I prime with my airbrush, but Vallejo can be brushed on in a few thin coats for test minis like these.
Then I selected the palette for each. Just black, white and one other color each.
Nope. That red is too orange. Swapped it out for this one instead.
Better. Now, let's begin with the green one. I used my palette with wells and did these very quickly with wet on wet. Each only took about an hour. Base coats and color blocking.
Shades and glazes and tinting and NMM.
All done.
Looks nice on the game board too.
I did the blue one next and took even fewer WIP pics. Sorry, I was really moving.
Done!
Looks cool on the board (pun intended).

These won't win any awards, but a whole set of Loka minis like this on the board will make the game better - to me - I can't stand bare plastic. What about you?

Next post: I'll warm things up with some yellow and red monochrome! Tell me what you think, check out the blog roll for new blogs and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain :)

8 comments:

  1. I like them. They looked pretty boring just plain plastic, but your paint job has bought out alot of their character. The graduation of greens from dark to light on the dwarf dude is really good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He came out the best of the bunch :)

      Delete
  2. Nooo the blog ate my comment!

    Um...

    I really like the skeletons. They remind me of a lot of the color palette of the skyrim drauer in the dungeons. Really eerie and perfect for a limited palette. It's amazing what you can do with just a few colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The whole set is going to look pretty great when it's done...eventually. Wheni am done with my NOCF Squads I'm planning on cranking the whole set out in about a week. Each mini only takes about an hour! Yay!

      Delete
  3. I don't know how I missed this - very cool idea man! Love how those two turned out, looking forward to seeing the others. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was likely the bright colors that blinded you :P Thanks, it was a fun little project to do while prepping my minis for the NOCF.

      Delete
  4. Very nice work Zab. You kept both simple and that's how they needed to be painted. I have been toying with the idea of a monochromatic project myself after watching a piece done by Jen Haley of CMON.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's harder than it looks. Keeping the colors from getting muddy is a pain and contrast is key. It's still really fun though :)

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.