Miniatures For Sale

Friday, May 22, 2015

WIP: NOCF Armies: The Build

So by now you know I am helping out with the NOCF charity army build again this year. It's Sons of Orar Space Marines VS Eldar! I'm hedging my bets and working on a unit for both armies. I've teased a few things from the painting process up to this point, but now lets get into detail of how I do the building and painting. Boring grey plastic first!


I swapped out the metal scorpions above with Finecast ones to keep them from being top heavy on those nice Secret Weapon bases. The Finecast was actually... just fine o_O You could have knocked me over with a feather.
Next I clip all the pieces from the sprues and bag and tag them to keep things organized. This helps when you are magnetizing a lot of options like I am doing with these ones :)
The minis get cleaned, magnetized and assembled as much as possible...
Bolter drill.
Yes, all those options for the Sgt and special weapons are magnetized. Buy your tickets for the raffle now...
Exarch is magnetized too :)
 And now they are all ready for priming!
BTW, I highly recommend Badger's acrylic primers! I loved Vallejo and these are even better!!!

NOCF Charity raffle information (Go get some tickets):

The beneficiaries of this effort - Doctors Without Borders (DWB) - www.doctorswithoutborders.org  
You DO NOT have to be present at the NOVA Open to win, they will ship the armies to anywhere in the world in sturdy, custom-cut, KR Multicases! 
There are other armies/collections in the works for 40K, Halifax, and Flames of War. Tickets purchased for each of these other armies benefit a variety of other charities including Fischer House, and the Wounded Warrior Project.


NOCF blog  - novacf.blogspot.com
NOCF website  - novaopenfoundation.org

Models and supplies for the armies being painted are provided by the sponsors below:
Atlantis Games & Comics (USA) - http://www.atlantis-comics.com
KR Multicase (UK) - http://www.krmulticase.com
Element Games (UK) - http://elementgames.co.uk
Secret Weapon Miniatures (USA)- http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com

Next Post: I begin to add color to all of these minis. Batch painting incoming, paging Dr. Air Brush... Thanks for stopping by, check the blog roll, post some comments and remember; you can't spell painting without a little pain :)

26 comments:

  1. You are a magnetizing machine! The winner is lucky. They can paint a bunch of 3/4 marines and glue all those extra arms on them saving time.

    You need to stop teasing your readers and show some skin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coming :) I am almost done painting too. I have literally hundreds of pics for posts from here until the NOVA open!!!

      Delete
  2. Sweeeet - The striking scorpions have always been my favorite aspect, really looking forward to seeing you work your magic on 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very very very saturated green and yellow :) They were fun to do. I'll have recipes and lots of pics of each stage along the path (see what i did there? path > eldar)

      Delete
  3. Tiny wrist magnets FTW! What size do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look it up when I get home. There is an electronics store in Brampton on Matheson that sells a billions different sizes. I'll post the link too :)

      Delete
    2. Here is the size i used for wrists:
      0.0625 in. Diameter x 0.03125 in. Thick,
      Metric Dimensions 1.5875mm diameter x 0.79375mm thick

      Link to where to get all kinds of sizes:

      http://sayal.com/zinc/zinc_SEARCH.asp?txtSEARCH=rare+earth&x=-1815&y=-21

      Delete
    3. Awesome! And here I've been magnetizing entire arms for the sarge options! What a waste of shoulder pads (and painting time)!

      Also, thanks for hipping me to that Fernando Ruiz gig! I just bought my ticket. Are you going?

      Delete
    4. Yep! I'll see you there :) I have to go because I will never attend one in europe or the UK even if i happen to be there because vacations are family time and flying to a convention in the USA? Pffft. Forget that crap with airfare and hotel o_O This is so rare you almost have to!

      Delete
  4. can't wait to see your versions of the scorpions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the official green/yellow/black/gold, but very saturated and contrasty.

      Delete
  5. Question on the badger vs vallejo primers. Is the badger thicker? I found the vallejo really thin! (especially compared to the old GW spray can).

    Magnetizing all the sarg options...That brings tears to my eye. Can't wait to buy some raffles this year! It'll be great to see your work in person too, even if you won't be there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yeah the badger stuff is a bit thicker (the white is soooo much better) and truth be told covers better. It is also a lot tougher so it would be my go to for gaming minis if i couldn't use enamel.

      I just finished basing everyone last night and will clear coat them tonight and start to take many pretty pictures before i ship them out!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the response Zab. I'll pick some up, as I found the vallejo came off a bit too easily for my liking. (good if you are painting right away, but I tend to prime/paint in stages, so it sits around for awhile).

      Delete
    3. Barely. I just cranked the PSI way up and blasted it though. For brush on a only thinned it a little because i wasn't sure if it was self leveling like vallejo, but it is - AND it's sandable too :)

      Delete
  6. What's self leveling? I saw that used and had no idea what it meant. What's high psi for you? (it's greggles question day!!!).

    Just ordered a set off amazon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just means that as it dries it pulls itself flat so it doesn't clog detail. vallejo is very good for that.too. for the badger stuff i was forcing it through undiluted up between 30-40 PSI O_o It was nuts!

      Delete
    2. Super great info! Appreciate it!

      Delete
  7. Is it just me or does those minis on the 2nd last photo look like Predators (vs Aliens kind)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah when they updated the sculpts with the dreads that was my first thought too :)

      Delete
  8. Nice to see your progress, definitely learned a thing or two, keep up your good work mate.
    Have you ever tried scale75 acrylic primers? I find the same issues with Vallejo that you described so bought scale75 last week but I'm thinking about swapping them with badger after what you wrote, but if you or someone have tried scale75 give a shout, I don't want to open them if they are crap so I can't return them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry man, I've never tried the scale 75 stuff. i know a few people on CMON who use it and like it, but they are display painters so they aren't too worried about durability.

      Delete
  9. Okay man. I just noticed your scale75 boxes so it was worth a try ;) well I returned the primers today and will give badger a try then, I am really just looking for a primer that can be sanded, while I also do display I look for a good quality but also something I can use on my tabletop minis. Also remember that when you dilute a primer it becomes paint, a good ab primer shouldn't be thinned only the obligatory 2-3 drops of thinner/water in the ab before pouring in paint :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Btw what finish does badger dry to? Sorry for all the questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Ultra matte. It's the flatest finish on a primer I have ever seen. Their paints i hear are some what glossy though.

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.