Miniatures For Sale

Friday, May 29, 2015

WIP: NOCF Armies: Color Sketch

This one will be quick, because well, the work is quick.


I use the airbrush to sketch out the initial color placement on the marines and scorpions.
Nothing fancy just a quick air brush coat of the highs and lows.
I'll go back in later with a brush and some glazes and really make it all pop with contrast :)
Geez, red and black freehand on those white parts should be fun...

NOCF Charity raffle information (Go get some tickets):

The beneficiaries of this effort - Doctors Without Borders (DWB) - www.doctorswithoutborders.org  
You DO NOT have to be present at the NOVA Open to win, they will ship the armies to anywhere in the world in sturdy, custom-cut, KR Multicases! 
There are other armies/collections in the works for 40K, Halifax, and Flames of War. Tickets purchased for each of these other armies benefit a variety of other charities including Fischer House, and the Wounded Warrior Project.


NOCF blog  - novacf.blogspot.com
NOCF website  - novaopenfoundation.org

Models and supplies for the armies being painted are provided by the sponsors below:
Atlantis Games & Comics (USA) - http://www.atlantis-comics.com
KR Multicase (UK) - http://www.krmulticase.com
Element Games (UK) - http://elementgames.co.uk
Secret Weapon Miniatures (USA)- http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com

Next Post: Brush work starts with details on the marines and some touch ups and armor on the scorpions! Thanks for having a look, hit me in the comments and remember; you can;t spell paint without a little pain!

14 comments:

  1. Jealous of the airbrush, well done man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem like great idea, but the learning curve is brutal o_O You get it and for like a year you are cautious and only use it for priming and base coating and you get like "bah! why did i get the fing thing?!" Then it all starts to click as you get bolder with it :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that :). I do find that forcing myself to use it more often just makes everything that much faster. I prep faster, clean faster, swap faster. Everything just speeds up in increments over time. Thanks for taking the time to snap these photos. It's always good to see everyone s steps!

      Delete
    3. Yep! That's the thing the more you use it the easier it is. And at least mistakes come in thin coats so you can fix them again without clogging detail o_O

      Delete
  2. So Zab, question I noticed you don't fully assemble your marines. You do them in sub assemblies, does this serve a purpose? Doesn't it make them harder to glue together at the end?? Wondering because I may try it this way with my next marine army or my skittari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try sub assemblies. I am a huge fan of Zab's work, and after seeing the finished product, know that his process works.

      Delete
    2. Here's the thing about sub assemblies. You have to pay attention to where you place your highlights and shadows so it doesn't look weird assembled later. Plan ahead and double check. It becomes second nature with time and experience :) I have painted A LOT of 40k stuff so it's all second nature to me, but even I am more careful with new subject matter. As for assembly after painting: No big deal you just have to make sure that you scrape areas that will make contact clean of all paint so that the plastic glue fuses plastic to plastic or super glue fuses metal to metal or resin to resin.

      Here is a handy link explaining the process in more detail:
      http://almostperftec.blogspot.ca/2012/09/wip-crimson-fist-anniversary-model_21.html

      Geez, if I keep quoting my self like this I'm liable to disappear up my own asshole o_O

      Hope that helps :)

      Delete
    3. John I'm flattered! I am a fan of your work since the time or Drathmere was it? Still love those Smurfs and Tallaran allies ;)

      Delete
  3. I salute your efforts in tackling this huge army. I admit that painting armies of minis is very daunting to me ... he who paints one mini at a time in a painstakingly (read infuriating) slow manner. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all looking great so far, sub-assemblies are the way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yeah makes getting at those details way easier without getting random paint everywhere :P

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.