Miniatures For Sale

Friday, January 20, 2017

Art Break: Watercolors

 Just a quick break from minis. This year I'll be slowing down a bit as I struggle with depression and burn out on all fronts. Every now and then you'll get some filler posts like this or I may even miss a week. I have to accept that I am human and have limits - man, I hate saying that -_-

At any rate these were done on a quick trip to Vegas over the xmas break while we visited red rock canyon for a family wedding.
 
 I like water colors because they can be so loose and messy and force you to step away from perfection/precision which is a huge factor in our hobby. So what other art do you guys do? What inspires and influences your mini painting? This is just one other medium I am exploring. I'll share others as the year goes by and explain why I like them and how they help me with my mini painting.

Thanks for looking and remember; you can't spell paint without a little pain :)

4 comments:

  1. Stay strong man ... know that your family loves you and need you.
    I always wanted to try water colours but, me oh my, where do I find the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Waterbrush, small travel palette, book of small watercolor postcards. Very quick and portable!

      Delete
  2. Hey man, I really like the colours you've used. I've noticed people normally use subtle colours with water colour, to make sort of coloured-in drawings, but yours are like actual paintings.

    The quality of light is so clear and bright it looks like Australia to me :) Must be a desert thing.

    I've been oil painting a lot. It's completely taken over my hobby time actually. In comparison to painting pics from my imagination, putting paint on someone else's sculpture seems more like a technical exercise than a creative one. And like you said, the way people normally paint them is detail and technique-obsessed, so I just wasn't enjoying them as much as the painting on canvas and wood. I might try and knock out a Forgeworld artillery piece over the weekend though, two of them been sitting on my desk for like a year :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I really need to try oils. The wet on wet style would help my mini painting too. I think a lot of us mini painters eventually become artists whether we mean to or not. The creative drive just keeps evolving!

      Delete

By all means have your say, but please keep it civil.